Baldur, Manitoba, is a small village located in the southwestern part of the province on Highway 23, equal distance between Brandon and Portage La Prairie.
Founded in 1880 with the coming of the railway, Baldur is named after a Norse god, as many of the first residents of the village were Icelandic.
Baldur is the birthplace of NHL Hall of Famer Tom Johnson, who played for the Montreal Canadiens and the Boston Bruins, as well as, the award winning author and naturalist Bill Stillwell, the only rural Manitoba author who has had two or more nationally best-selling books while remaining a resident of the area.
In early 1997, the Baldur Economic Development Committee approached the Cypress River Credit Union Board of Directors with a request to provide a credit union branch following the closure of the Royal Bank in Baldur. Once necessary approvals were granted, the new Cypress River Credit Union branch opened for business on January 6th, 1998 and later joined Sunrise Credit Union on October 1st, 2008.
Today, the Baldur Branch has close to 1,000 members and 7 employees.
We continue to support the community in a variety of ways.
Below are some of our highlights from 2013:
- Hosted a young woman from Malawi for one week through the Canadian Co-operative Association Women’s Mentoring Program
- Staff volunteered at the Solstice Days pancake breakfast and the children’s activities
- Participated in Elder Abuse Awareness day with a walk around town with seniors and school children, worked at a hot dog lunch, and had a speaker on elder abuse awareness
- Volunteered at the Men’s Health awareness evening
- Created a Mitten Tree in December with donations going to the Manitoba Red Cross
- Hosted a Christmas Coloring Contest for grades K-4 and displayed the artwork in the Credit Union
- We had two days of member appreciation during Christmas where staff made dainties and served coffee
- Presented a scholarship to a high school student pursuing post-secondary education
- Served snacks and refreshments on Credit Union Day where we also celebrated Sunrise Credit Union’s 5th Anniversary
- Bouncy Houses at Solstice Days
- Senior Student of The Month at the local school
- The Lung Association through the Breath of Spring Tulip Campaign
- Men’s Health Awareness
- Children’s Wish Foundation through an annual BBQ and raffle in June
- Baldur Memorial Hall bathroom project through a Silver Collection on Credit Union Day
- Provided many other cash and prize donations to local organizations