Melita, Manitoba, is a farming community of over 1000 people in the southwestern corner of the province.
Located beside the Souris River at the junction of Highway 3 and Highway 83, Melita is a part of the Rural Municipality of Arthur. The area produces grain, livestock, oil, and mined aggregates.
Founded in 1879, today the town is home to Antler River Historical Society Museum, which is housed in a school house built in 1905. The town boasts an aquatic centre, an arena, a golf course, and the annual “Banana Days” celebration in August.
Melita is known as the “Grasslands Bird Capital of Manitoba” and is part of Manitoba’s “Banana Belt,” representing the warmest area of the province.
The Melita Credit Union was incorporated in 1966 and merged with Virden Credit Union in 1971. A new two story building was constructed and opened in January 1973 with a staff of 4 employees. Virden Credit Union amalgamated with 4 other legacy credit unions on October 1st, 2008 to form Sunrise Credit Union.
Today, the Sunrise Credit Union Melita Branch has almost 2,500 members and 15 Staff.
Some of our highlights from 2012 include:
- Donated gift baskets to Lions Fundraiser Benefit Dance and raised $1500.
- Worked Palliative Care BBQ’s and made desserts to sell, raising $1400.
- Worked Pool BBQ’s and raised $400.
- Parent Advisory Council –Donated an iPod along with other contributors and raised $5000 (our portion was $2000) for playground equipment.
- Major sponsor for Pierson and Area Indoor Rodeo.
- Donated $2200 to the digital projector project for Prairie Arts Council in Melita.
- Helped fund the construction of the new 9th hole for Melita Golf Club.
- Adopted and maintained a flower bed in central park.
- Sponsored the Santa visit at the Melita Rink serving hot chocolate, cookies & oranges and assisted with the pictures with Santa.
- Donated $300 from our Jean’s Day fund to the Will Weir Trust.
- Granted 2 scholarships of $1500 each to two high school students so they could attend post-secondary school.
This Branch has an ATM